IR5 Visa: A Comprehensive Guide for Parents of US Citizens

Parents of U.S. citizens have a unique way for immigrating to the United States. This approach often entails applying for both an IR5 visa and a green card at the same time. The IR5 visa permits the parent to enter the United States, but the green card grants them legal permanent resident status after they arrive.  

 What Is the IR5 Visa? 

A parent of a U.S. citizen may apply for an IR5 visa, which allows immediate family members of that citizen to immigrate to the U.S. Upon approval, an individual with an IR5 visa may apply to become a permanent resident of the United States.  

Having your parents as legal guardians is not necessary. Their role in your life may be similar to that of stepparents or adoptive parents. On the other hand, you’ll have to meet the criteria set forth by USCIS if you want to sponsor your parents for an IR5 visa. 

What Are the Eligibility Requirements?   

The following are the factors that determine eligibility for an IR-5 visa:  

  • To be a sponsor, a U.S. citizen must be at least 21 years old. 
  • The parents must be able to financially rely on the sponsor until they find gainful employment. 
  • The sponsor’s residence and mailing address must be in the US.  
  • The sponsor is required to provide a copy of their birth certificate to establish their link with the parent.  

Which Documents Are Needed for an IR-5 Visa?  

To apply for an IR-5 visa, you must prove that you are the parent or legal guardian of a qualifying minor. To sponsor a mother, a U.S. citizen child must provide a copy of their birth certificate that has both their name and the name of their mother.  

An American citizen minor may sponsor their father using two documents: a copy of their birth certificate (which must contain both parents’ names) and, if relevant, a copy of their parents’ marriage certificate. In cases where the parents were never married, evidence of a financial or emotional tie between the sponsor and the child’s father is required. The first of the two dates—before the child turned 21 or before the child got married—must have occurred. 

Citizens of the United States may also sponsor stepparents or adoptive parents, but there are distinct forms to fill out for each of these scenarios. Speak with an immigration attorney to better understand the requirements. 

Furthermore, a parent’s passport must not have expired, and two passport-sized color photos must be on hand. We anticipate submitting these at the required interview with the USCIS office. 

What Are the Benefits of an IR5 Visa?   

Parents are eligible for a variety of benefits under the IR-5 Visa. There are no restrictions on applying for an IR-5 visa multiple times in a single calendar year. The parent’s visa status does not restrict their ability to live and work in the US, as this visa allows them to remain in the country as a permanent resident. For their purposes, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is not required. Public healthcare and other government services are available to all citizens of the United States, which is an additional perk. Starting the application process as soon as possible is crucial, but you should also be aware of the possibility of changes to the criteria and processing time delays. 

Can the IR5 Visa Be Denied?   

Despite the frequent rejection of visas, applicants typically have the opportunity to reapply. It is important to remember the difference between visa rejection and visa denial. If they decline your visa application, they will simply ask you to produce the necessary documents, without imposing any processing fees. If your visa is rejected, you will have to restart the application process and pay the fees again. 

What Is the Cost of an IR-5 Visa? 

The application procedure involves many documents and expenses, the most notable of which are Form I-130 ($535) and Form DS-260 ($325; if applicable).  


A parent may apply for an IR5 visa on behalf of a U.S. citizen child who is 21 or older, allowing the child to have permanent residency in the United States. Making an appointment with USCIS, the agency in charge of immigration and citizenship, is the first step in the process. Consular processing or status adjustment may follow thereafter. To ensure that the process is completed on time and that the case is likely to get a good verdict, the many government agencies involved must communicate and monitor each other closely.